Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Living Room Makeover!

Since we moved here 14 years ago, I have hated the living room! It was wood paneled and the fireplace was red brick with awful black grout. So Brady Bunch, so completely "Lodge Gone Wrong." It was like a big dark hole and although there are two large windows in the room, all my plants died in there. Probably from sadness.
I tried numerous times to get my husband to agree to let me re-do the room, but he never wanted me to paint the wood or the bricks. Our oldest son's college graduation was coming up, we would be having a party for him, and I really wanted the "brown room" to go away. So,I researched how-to's online and with constant nagging, he gave in. And yes, I would have done it even if he hadn't agreed, but I always start out by attempting harmony first, then if that doesn't work, I go for mutiny.
Room prep:
I gently scuffed up the paneling with fine sandpaper first so the paint would adhere better. Then I washed the walls with vinegar and water and vacuumed the bricks. I used Behr Paint's Premium Plus Ultra...it's paint and primer in one and the walls and the fireplace each took only 2 coats of paint each. Wall colour: Rainwashed (a soft blue/gray that reminds me of the sky after a rain...calm, soft and relaxing!)
Fireplace and ceiling colour: Serengeti Sand (sort of beige-y with a hint of orange/yellow...warm!)
(there was also a gargantuan wooden bookcase that could sleep 6 people in the room, but we got that moved out before I took these photos. It seriously weighed about 500 pounds!)

The entire makeover cost under $250, too! The paint was $120, the couch slipcover was $50 from Overstock.com, the recliner slipcover was $30 on Amazon.com, the green sheers were $10 from Target and the fabric for the couch pillows was $12 from Joann Fabrics. As the room was mostly blues and vanilla latte colours, I brought in the green sheers and pillows, pattern mixing the pillows. The rest of the decorations were in various places in our house, so I just brought them all together. I call it "Victorian Beach House" style and it's become my favourite room!

(the "after" shot of the fireplace came out too blue-y! The rest of the photos show the actual wall colour.)

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Red Cowboy Boots

I've been searching for a pair of red cowboy boots for several months. How cute would they be with summer dresses?! I had a hard time finding exactly what I wanted, plus I didn't want to spend $100 or more on a pair. I really wanted a used pair...nice and worn in already, but with a lot of life left in them. I finally decided to bid on a light brown pair on Ebay and take a chance on dyeing them red. I read a blog where someone had dyed a handbag with Fiebing's Dye, so I figured what the heck...I'm crafty, right? I won the Ebay auction and got the boots for $26 and they fit like they were made for me. Bonus! I ordered the dye and deglazer (removes any old finish and dirt from the leather) from an Ebay seller also (STECKSTORE) The handbag blogger said a whole bottle of dye was used for the bag, so I bought 2 bottles of red dye for the boots. I only used part of one bottle of the red dye and only about an inch and a half of the deglazer, so this puts my total cost at less than $35. I got some old rags and went outside. The deglazer SMELLS... you're gonna need more than a "well ventilated area", trust me! I cleaned one boot first and a fair amount of dirt came off. You're supposed to put the dye on while the leather is still damp from the deglazer. The dye comes with a dabber thingy and the dye is DRIPPY! A bit thicker than water, but not much. It reminded me of the mercurochrome my mom used to put on my boos-boos when I was little. (Whatever happened to mecurochrome? They probably discovered it's cancer causing or something, right?)I just rubbed the dye soaked dabber all over the boot until it was covered completely. Then I did the second boot and after about 10 minutes (not long) followed with a second coat of red dye. Then, per the instructions on the bottle, I rubbed briskly with soft cloth to remove excess dye. Not a lot came off. And that was it! Total time, maybe 20 minutes. Seriously. I wore them the next day and a bit of dye did rub off on my shin, but not much. I think I may have forgotten to briskly rub the inside of the boot where the pull up strap is, so that would explain the dye rub-off. So...if you're feeling adventurous, I highly recommend giving this a try! Maybe test it on some thrift store shoes first or something, but it was REALLY easy and it turned out exactly as I wanted, so GO FOR IT!